On April 26, 2022, Understory hosted a special edition of the 'Startups Driving Sustainability' Showcase featuring the five startup innovators from the gener8tor sustainability accelerator cohort.
A recording of the event is available below.
Our featured speakers include:
- Ryan Jeffery, Managing Director of gener8tor Sustainability
- Tiya Gordon, Co-founder & COO at itselectric
- Apostol Radev, CEO & Co-Founder of SolarSteam
- Sophia Wennstedt, CEO of blip energy
- Sam Schiller, Co-Founder & CEO of Carbon Yield
- Joanne Rodriguez, CEO of Mycocycle
gener8tor's latest accelerator gives climate tech and sustainability startups the access to capital, connections, and the resources that they need to succeed. During the showcase, the presenters share insights into renewable energy, the voluntary carbon markets, circular practices, and more. These are a few key highlights:
- Capital is still concentrated. 80% of venture capital goes to three states and 97% of funding goes to white men.
- Infrastructure isn't ready for the electric revolution. Whether its electric vehicle charging or providing reliable access to electricity in the home, our infrastructure and storage is not optimized for the upcoming demand for renewable and electric energy.
- Heat is half. Heating represents about half of all global final energy consumption, some of which is driven by consumption within industrial and manufacturing activities.
- Farming systems are broken due to poor practices. It's no longer working for farmers, the planet or our food chain. Regenerative farming practices are a promising climate solution that can also revive a dying industry.
- Fungi are the cleaners of the earth. Not only can they remove toxins from materials, the root structure can also become the building blocks of new materials after remediation in a closed loop cycle.
For more information about innovators driving sustainable change or our upcoming events, check out Understory's 'Startups Driving Sustainability' Showcase information page.