On November 2, 2022, Understory hosted the 'Startups Driving Sustainability' Showcase highlighting the startup innovators making our world more sustainable.
A recording of the event is available below.
Our featured speakers include:
- Lukky Ahmed, Co-Founder & CEO of Climate X
- Calli Obern, Director of Public Policy & Stakeholder Engagement at Capture6
- Jahn Khan, Founder & CEO of 4Earth
- Tia Robinson, CEO & Founder of Vertical Activewear
In this showcase, we kicked off with a discussion around climate risk and how weather and climate change impacts business strategy. We talked about new innovations in carbon capture and water technology. We brought our session to a close by discussing sustainable apparel and manufacturing. A few key takeaways:
- Climate adaptation is just as important as mitigation. Climate risks aren't going away anytime soon, so understanding future impacts from climate change is essential for successful business strategy.
- Cutting back carbon emissions is not enough. Advanced technologies that remove carbon dioxide are necessary to create net negative emissions. They already exist today.
- The circular water economy. Creating loops of water reuse can extract valuable resources while also reducing wastewater and energy usage.
- Apparel overproduction (and overconsumption) is toxic. Made-to-order manufacturing can reduce textile waste.
For more information about innovators driving sustainable change or our upcoming events, check out Understory's 'Startups Driving Sustainability' Showcase information page.