On September 20, 2022, Understory hosted the 'Startups Driving Sustainability' Showcase highlighting the startup innovators making our world more sustainable.
A recording of the event is available below.
Our featured speakers include:
- Tom Ward, Co-Founder & CEO of Epoch Boats
- Constanza Gomez, Co-Founder of Sortile
- Noah Godrey, Co-Founder of Ampliphi
- Franz Hochstrasser, CEO & Co-Founder of Raise Green
In this showcase, we discovered a new type of electric vehicle - boats! We also talked about the circular economy, focused on both plastic and textile waste. The event ended talking about how we can all invest in and support these sustainable technologies. A few key takeaways:
- Boats have an oversized impact on climate change. A single boat generates almost as much carbon per year as an automotive vehicle, despite operating less than 20% as often.
- One overlooked aspect of textile recycling is the collection and sorting piece of the process. A robust end-to-end recycling process could recycle up to 95% of all textile waste.
- Plastic reporting is following in the footsteps of carbon disclosures. New global treaties and local legislation are pressuring companies to measure, disclose, and reduce their plastic impact.
- Substantial investment in climate tech is still needed to avoid additional global warming. While $1 trillion a year is currently being invested, we need $5 trillion a year by 2030 to hit our targets.
For more information about innovators driving sustainable change or our upcoming events, check out Understory's 'Startups Driving Sustainability' Showcase information page.