On September 20, 2022, Understory hosted the 'Startups Driving Sustainability' Showcase highlighting the startup innovators making our world more sustainable.
A recording of the event is available below.
Our featured speakers include:
- Tom Ward, Co-Founder & CEO of Epoch Boats
- Constanza Gomez, Co-Founder of Sortile
- Noah Godrey, Co-Founder of Ampliphi
- Franz Hochstrasser, CEO & Co-Founder of Raise Green
In this showcase, we discovered a new type of electric vehicle - boats! We also talked about the circular economy, focused on both plastic and textile waste. The event ended talking about how we can all invest in and support these sustainable technologies. A few key takeaways:
- Boats have an oversized impact on climate change. A single boat generates almost as much carbon per year as an automotive vehicle, despite operating less than 20% as often.
- One overlooked aspect of textile recycling is the collection and sorting piece of the process. A robust end-to-end recycling process could recycle up to 95% of all textile waste.
- Plastic reporting is following in the footsteps of carbon disclosures. New global treaties and local legislation are pressuring companies to measure, disclose, and reduce their plastic impact.
- Substantial investment in climate tech is still needed to avoid additional global warming. While $1 trillion a year is currently being invested, we need $5 trillion a year by 2030 to hit our targets.
For more information about innovators driving sustainable change or our upcoming events, check out Understory's 'Startups Driving Sustainability' Showcase information page.
Join the newsletter to get the latest updates.
Join the conversation.