On December 1, 2021, Understory hosted the 'Startups Driving Sustainability' Showcase highlighting the startup and partner innovators making our world more sustainable.
A recording of the event is available below.
Our featured speakers include:
- Heiko Schmidt, Manager EQ Brand Management & Technology at Mercedes Benz USA
- Lauren Flanagan, Executive Chair & Co-Founder of Sesame Solar
- Jane von Rabenau, CEO and Co-Founder of Siklus
- Sevinç Ar Chimot, Cleantech, Grand Paris & Smart City Expert at Choose Paris Region
Each lightning talk focused on various aspects of Smart Cities including an electric vehicle future, solar power for critical areas, the circular economy, reducing plastic waste with refillables, and best practices for sustainable cities. These are a few key highlights:
- An EV future requires more than just the electric vehicle. Achieving a fully electric fleet requires massive transformation >> infrastructure, supply chain, production, and processes. This includes transitioning from a value chain to value cycle to close the loop.
- Solar deployments can power new use cases, especially in critical areas. New nanogrid technology can be easily deployed via trailer or container to disaster recovery and remote locations. It can also power mobile retail, EV charging, cafes and other pop-up locations.
- 1 in 5 plastic items found on Indonesian beaches are plastic pouches. Refillables are transforming the way that consumers purchase every day household goods in the island nation, reducing this plastic waste. And it's poised to be a big business >> approximately $10 billion /year market opportunity.
- Cities are where the climate battle will be won or lost. The Paris region has many sustainable city projects underway spanning areas such as green buildings, new mobility, the circular economy, governance, and inclusive social development. There are numerous resources and ways to get involved for companies of all sizes.
For more information about innovators driving sustainable change or our upcoming events, check out Understory's 'Startups Driving Sustainability' Showcase information page.