On January 20, 2022, Understory hosted the 'Startups Driving Sustainability' Showcase highlighting the startup and partner innovators making our world more sustainable.
A recording of the event is available below.
Our featured speakers include:
- Joey Shea, Manager Mission Activation at Interface
- Jakob Levin, Co-Founder of Seqana
- May Al-Karooni, Founder & CEO of Globechain
- Raul Engelke, CEO of e-Mission
Each lightning talk focused on themes such as net zero, carbon sequestration, the circular economy, and sustainability education. These are a few key highlights:
- LOVE carbon. While we often think of carbon as an enemy that needs to be eliminated, innovation can happen when we see it as a resource. A mindset shift is key to transformation.
- There's 4x more carbon in soil than above-ground biomass (i.e. trees). Soil's ability to capture carbon is significant, yet soil carbon projects are less than 5% of all nature-based solutions. Why? Complexity.
- Complexity creates opportunities. Current ways of work can be complex - the supply chain, soil sequestration, investing. Adopting sustainable technologies and practices can simplify processes and drive impact.
- We ALL need more education around ESG and sustainability. Professionals and consumers all want to know more about sustainable practices and how to make informed decisions. Engaging e-learning content can help bridge the gap.
For more information about innovators driving sustainable change or our upcoming events, check out Understory's 'Startups Driving Sustainability' Showcase information page.