On January 20, 2022, Understory hosted the 'Startups Driving Sustainability' Showcase highlighting the startup and partner innovators making our world more sustainable.
A recording of the event is available below.
Our featured speakers include:
- Joey Shea, Manager Mission Activation at Interface
- Jakob Levin, Co-Founder of Seqana
- May Al-Karooni, Founder & CEO of Globechain
- Raul Engelke, CEO of e-Mission
Each lightning talk focused on themes such as net zero, carbon sequestration, the circular economy, and sustainability education. These are a few key highlights:
- LOVE carbon. While we often think of carbon as an enemy that needs to be eliminated, innovation can happen when we see it as a resource. A mindset shift is key to transformation.
- There's 4x more carbon in soil than above-ground biomass (i.e. trees). Soil's ability to capture carbon is significant, yet soil carbon projects are less than 5% of all nature-based solutions. Why? Complexity.
- Complexity creates opportunities. Current ways of work can be complex - the supply chain, soil sequestration, investing. Adopting sustainable technologies and practices can simplify processes and drive impact.
- We ALL need more education around ESG and sustainability. Professionals and consumers all want to know more about sustainable practices and how to make informed decisions. Engaging e-learning content can help bridge the gap.
For more information about innovators driving sustainable change or our upcoming events, check out Understory's 'Startups Driving Sustainability' Showcase information page.
Join the newsletter to get the latest updates.
Join the conversation.