On March 23, 2022, Understory hosted the 'Startups Driving Sustainability' Showcase highlighting the startup innovators making our world more sustainable.
A recording of the event is available below.
Our featured speakers include:
- Seyi Fabode, Co-founder at Varuna
- Chantal Emmanuel, CTO & Co-Founder of LimeLoop
- Tinia Pina, Founder & CEO of Re-Nuble
- Andre Cheung, Founder & CEO of Robotics Cats
These entrepreneurs are tackling some of toughest challenges we currently face - clean water, a sustainable food chain, environmental disasters, and the threat of e-commerce waste. These are a few key highlights:
- Natural resources are often taken for granted. Everything from clean water to food in our grocery stores to pristine forests to even waste removal can be threatened by climate change. These issues are inherently related to equity, climate justice, and a better planet for all.
- Technology can overcome human capital gaps. Aging infrastructure can be hard to maintain and staff, especially given skilled labor shortages. Technologies like sensors and AI can replace, and even enhance, human capabilities.
- All organics are not equal. Some organic options, especially as it relates to fertilizers, can be hard to scale in a safe and high quality way. Scale is critical for adoption, especially when applied to agriculture and sustainable food chains.
- Circular economy for the win. As landfills continue to pile up and become more expensive (in $$ and climate impact), reducing and reusing waste is critical. First, businesses and individuals need to adopt practices that extend the useful life of goods - like reusable packaging. Creative uses of waste, like turning food waste to fertilizer, can also give our trash a second life.
For more information about innovators driving sustainable change or our upcoming events, check out Understory's 'Startups Driving Sustainability' Showcase information page.